Big Joe was rather cranky last week so I thought I’d make him some cookies in the hopes of getting a smile out of him. He said he loved chocolate chip cookies so, after work one night, I ran to the Rite Aid around the corner from the restaurant before hopping on the metro. But they didn’t have chocolate chips! I grabbed a bag of plain M&Ms and some Lindt white chocolate instead.
Making cookies at midnight is a totally new experience for me. I wanted to have them baked and ready to eat by the time Big Joe came home at about 2am. By that time, I was seriously fading. Happily, the cookies tasted absolutely great and everyone loved them, including The Other Joe and Tim, who were in the basement building the sauna (I know). Big Joe was smiling from ear to ear and said they were the best cookies he’d ever had.
The recipe is just your basic chocolate chip cookie recipe I found with the help of my friend Google.
M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies1 cup butter 1 cup caster sugar 1 cup brown sugar 2 eggs 2 tsp vanilla 3 cups flour 1 tsp baking soda 2 tsp hot water ½tsp salt 2 cups chocolate chips/M&Ms 100g/3.5 oz white chocolate cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350 F.
2. Soften the butter and beat together with both sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. In a cup, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Add this to the butter mixture, then add the salt and mix together.
4. Mix in the flour then add the chocolate chips/M&Ms and white chocolate pieces, stirring until well incorporated.
5. Spoon rounded teaspoonfuls of cookie batter onto greased baking sheets and bake for 12-14 mins, or until the cookies are nicely golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack.